1. Home

Few things are worse than a low-flow toilet that will not flush. Fortunately, the advancement in technology of the pressure assisted toilet has now enabled super low volume toilets that both work (a nice feature) and save even more water than early 1.6 gallon per flush toilets (required since 1992).

These new power assist toilets use as little as 1.1 gallons per flush and according to the EPA can save up to 8,000 gallons of water per year for a family of four over a 1.6 gallon per flush toilet.

And if you have an older style toilet that uses 3.5 to 5 gallons per flush, well the water savings with a power assisted toilet will, well, blow you away!

Comments

September 15, 2009 at 9:29 am
(1) Todd Herbert says:

Wonderful product. Problem is, the common man can’t afford one. You may save on water, but how long to recoup? Ones I have seen run about $700.

September 16, 2009 at 9:09 am
(2) Ken says:

Can you retrofit and old toilet? How much are these power assist toilets?

September 16, 2009 at 10:12 am
(3) homerepair says:

Sure you can retrofit an old toilet if you mean replacing it. There is nothing different about these toilets in terms of size of the footprint and bolt hole locations. You cannot change out the tank components though. As for cost, you can get them for under $400, they are not that expensive. If you read the tutorial I have a link on the 3rd page that takes you to various manufacturers and their pricing.

Bob

September 16, 2009 at 12:24 pm
(4) Honor Spitz says:

These toilets are the only way to go!! They rocket the [waste] EDITED right out into the middle of the street, as it were, no muss, no fuss, no having to hold your breath and cross your fingers and stand on your tippy-toes ‘n hope like crazy that the stupid low flow flush will really do the trick!! Every home should have one. And when anyone suggests that they are “noisy”, my reply is that “they’re music to my ears”!!

September 17, 2009 at 5:52 am
(5) PaulinTampa says:

They originally cost $700, then soon came down to just under $400 at your local Home Depot. I bought two for my home and love ‘em. I’m thinking about buying another two for my wife’s home that we are in now. I’m sure they have come way down in price now. No, you cannot retrofit a toilet. I researched that for a long time until I found out you cannot do it. Just go buy one, you will be glad you did. Oh, out city was giving rebates of $100 when you put the old toilet for them to pick up. I called them, they picked it up, withing weeks I had my checks. Look for that in your community. Well worth it.

September 24, 2009 at 1:53 pm
(6) Filby says:

I have seen the first generation of these at work, but haven’t seen later models. Its great that they use even less water now but I have two concerns given my experience:
- We often had to flush twice to get the bowl itself clean, so it didn’t seem to save any water
- It was very loud

September 24, 2009 at 2:48 pm
(7) L. White says:

I have had one of the first generation toilets for at least 5 years. When we moved we took it with us! It has never clogged in spite of the fact I have 3 teens. The only problem I have ever “heard” is IF something goes wrong with the toilet you basically have to buy a new one. Another advantage the water is contained inside a (separate)tank that goes
inside the toilet tank. So if you have a sweating problem it will be resolved.

September 24, 2009 at 11:27 pm
(8) Alice says:

Are there particular brands of these power-assist toilets that are recommened? Some must be better than others?

Anyone have a recommendation?