CEILING FAN RATED ELECTRICAL BOX
1/2" to 2-1/8” Deep
- Must be rated for ceiling fan mounting by UL in a UL-listed electrical box marked “For Use With Ceiling Fans.”
- May be a round or octagon shaped UL Listed box;
- Requires special fastening due to dynamic loading of rotating fan;
- Depending on assembly, may accommodate installation of ceiling fan and light fixture up to 75 pounds or more;
- May be mounted directly (with 4 screws) to ceiling joist, wood blocking or may attach to adjustable brace spanning between ceiling joists.
For a great overview of installing a ceiling fan see this article called Remote Controlled Ceiling Fans. written by Elizabeth Weintraub, About.com's Guide to Home Buying/Selling.