To remove one or more damaged bricks proceed with the following steps:
- Put on eye protection and leather gloves.
- Using a cold chisel and heavy hammer break apart the damaged brick piece by piece. If you are removing several bricks, then start at the top and work down.
NOTE: As an alternative, you may also use a power drill and masonry cutting wheel to score the old bricks before cutting them out with a chisel. If you have these tools handy it makes the work a little shorter but using a drill and cutting wheel is not required.
- Be very careful not to damage surrounding bricks.
- Once the brick pieces are removed, chisel out any old mortar, making the voids as clean as possible.
- Clean the joints of any loose mortar with a wire brush and vacuum the opening clean of any dirt or dust.
- Rinse the cleaned area with water including all 4 sides of the opening.