A short cycling compressor, one that turns on and off frequently, is a symptom of an obstructed thermostat, leaking refrigerant, iced coils or in some cases, an over sized cooling system.
- Ensure thermostat is not obstructed;
- Obstructed (dirty or excessively bent) condensing fins in outside condensing unit (if bent fins, repair with a fin comb);
- Dirty air filter;
- Incorrect refrigerant charge (requires service technician);
- Refrigerant leak (requires service technician);
- Replace over sized condensing unit and coils (requires service technician).