Symptom: Heater Smells Like Something is Burning
- Dirty heating element is burning lint or hair.
- Dirty heating elements are the main reason they burn out prematurely and can be dangerous.
- Carefully vacuum the dirt, dust, lint and hair from the unit.
- Please make sure power is turned off to the electric heater at the service panel before opening up the unit for cleaning. Once power is turned off to the heater, remove the heater control knob and if the unit has a separate thermostat, remove the thermostat knob, and loosen the knob stem nuts and face plate mounting screws and remove the unit from the wall.
- If necessary, remove unit from wall and open up the cabinet to access the heating elements completely.