Removing oil stains from your garage floor is easier than you think and helps prolong the life of your floor. This helpful tutorial walks you through different ways to clean that floor with simple household materials.
Time Required: 30 Minutes
- Cat Litter: Sprinkle cat litter on the stain and crush and grind it into the oil stain with your shoe. Let set for an hour then sweep up.
- TSP: Using phosphate free TSP cleaner (Tri Sodium Phosphate), create a gallon of cleaner by mixing one cup of TSP with one gallon of hot water. Wearing eye protection and rubber gloves, pour the TSP onto the oil stain and let it soak in for 20-30 minutes. Then scrub with a plastic bristled brush and rinse with a hose. Repeat if needed.
- WD40: This common household lubricant has been known to clean oil stains as well. Spray on and let the solvent soak in for 15 minutes. Then rinse with a hose and repeat if necessary.
- Paint Thinner and Sawdust: Mix sawdust with paint thinner until it is damp, then spread the soaked sawdust over the stain. Let it soak into the oil stain for 20 minutes. Sweep up the sawdust and reapply if necessary.
- Get to the oil stains as fast as possible. The longer they soak in, the harder to remove.