To create an orange peel textured wall effect do the following:
- Mix enough thinned Redi-Mixed wallboard joint compound to fill the lower part of a paint tray. The consistency should be like pancake batter.
- Apply the compound to the repaired area using a 3/8" nap roller
- Feather out the rolling using lighter rolling pressure as you move away from the repaired area into the original textured area
- Do a final roll all in one direction
- Allow to dry completely. The effect won't match yet as the repair will have peaks throughout
- Take a hand sanding block with 220 grit sandpaper and lightly sand the repaired area to level off the peaks and create the orange peel effect.
- Take a clean cloth like an old T-shirt and rub the repaired area to soften the edges of the sanded orange peel repair.
- Prime and paint to match the surrounding area (probably the whole wall having the repair for best results)