Charging the Plumbing System with Water
To activate the plumbing system and refill it with water proceed as follows:
- Close the basement faucet or lowest level faucet in the house;
- Now close all the upper faucets. Closing the faucets allows air remain in the pipes to recharge the air chambers you may have in your home's plumbing system;
- Go back and open the main water valve to let the water back into your pipes;
- Now, one by one, starting with the highest level faucets, turn on the faucets and let the air/water sputter out until only clear water flows from the faucet.
- You may see discolored water come out at first, this is normal.
- Open the shower faucets;
- Flush the toilets
- Once the water is running clear, turn off the faucets starting at the highest floor level and work your way down through the house. You may have an occasional sputter the next time you use a faucet but any remaining air will quickly be purged.