To remove the heating element proceed as follows:
- Shut-off the electric power to the water heater at the main power panel. Do this by turning off the circuit breaker or fuse powering the heater.
- Next, drain the electric water heater.
- Remove the access cover panel and insulation covering the heating element terminal block. Fold the insulation outward and away from the heater element.
- Remove the thermostat cover from the thermostat if necessary. Make sure to disengage the attachment point from the thermostat.
- Loosen the screws holding the wires to each of the two terminal screws and remove the wires.
- Remove a screw-in type heating element by turning the element counterclockwise with a 1-1/2 inch socket element removal wrench. Remove the existing gasket.
- Remove a flange type heating element by removing the four screws holding the element in place. Remove the existing gasket.