Avoid the Following:
There are a few things to avoid in using your sink and garbage disposal to help reduce chances of clogs or slow draining.
- Do not grind up potato peelings. They will form a starchy paste similar to mashed potatoes when ground up and will surely clog your drain.
- Do not put coffee grounds or eggshells into your disposal. They create very tiny granular waste that will stick to any sludge in the pipe and quickly create a clog.
Do the Following:
- Maintain your disposal by regularly grinding up pieces of lemon peel and ice cubes.
- Avoid odors by also treating your disposal every month with a combination of a couple of handfuls of baking soda and a half cup of vinegar. Let that set in the disposal hopper with the unit turned off.
- After it's done foaming, rinse it down the drain with running water.