Preventing Frozen Pipes
There are a few things you can do to prevent the problem of freezing pipes from occurring again.
- Leave the faucet drip slightly as a trickle. The dripping water will keep the water in the pipe from freezing.
- Open kitchen base cabinet and let room air circulate.
- Open kitchen base cabinet and place a small portable heater near or in it to heat the pipes
- Wrap the problem pipe with electrical heat tape.
- Insulate the problem pipes with foam insulation wrap, especially those that run through unheated spaces.
- Temper the currently unheated crawlspace by placing a heater in the crawlspace. You just need to elevate the crawlspace temperature to modestly above freezing, about 40°F.