Disconnecting the connections to the gas control valve is the first step in either the standing pilot or electronic ignition type of water heater.
- Shut off the gas supply to the water heater and turn the gas control valve / thermostat to the "OFF" position.
- Turn the temperature dial on the gas control valve / thermostat to its lowest setting.
- Remove the cover panel exposing the burner assembly (standing pilot) or burner manifold cover plate (electronic ignition).
- Using an adjustable wrench or appropriate sized open end wrench, loosen and remove the thermocouple connection, the main burner supply tube and the pilot supply tube from the control valve.
- If this is an electronic ignition, remove the wire to the Piezo igniter.