A standard fitting for a hand held shower is one that will attach to the existing shower arm coming through the wall and REPLACES the shower head with the flexible hand held shower supply pipe and hand shower unit. To install this type of unit, proceed as follows:
- The shower head is designed either to fasten to the end of the shower arm or to a bracket that will attach to the wall. It depends on the model of hand held shower you have purchased.
- Screw the hand held shower head base onto the goose-neck shower arm and hand tighten as tight as possible.
- Fasten the flexible shower hose to the cross "T" in the same manner as a shower head.
- Turn the water back on at the faucet and check for leaks.
- If the hand held shower head base leaks at the connection to the threaded shower arm, you need to tighten the connection some more and may need to carefully use a wrench.
- So as not to mar the finish on the new base assembly, use a heavy cloth, piece of leather or duct tape between the surface and the adjustable wrench as before.
- CAREFULLY tighten the connection slightly and be careful not to over tighten the joint.
- Repeat until there is no leak.