Sometimes you can have a room or two in your home or apartment that just seems colder than the others. There can be several reasons for that problem and solutions range from easy to kind of difficult.
In this tutorial we will look at some of the more common problems that can cause a cold room and what can be done to solve the problem. Let's start with some of the easier problems to repair.
Heating register is closed or not adequately opened
- Open or adjust heat registers.
Dirty furnace filter is reducing air flow
- Change furnace filter.
Heating ducts are crazy dirty with debris!
- Vacuum out ducts with high power shop vacuum.
Hot air from furnace coming out of heating register is blocked by furniture or draperies or carpeting
- Move furniture, drapes or carpet as needed.
Thermostat located in an area where it gets warm quickly
- Move thermostat or reduce heat register opening in warm area so it does not get warm so fast and is more equal to other areas. See How to Install a Thermostat.
Thermostat is not functioning properly, or is improperly set or adjusted
- Troubleshoot thermostat, adjust thermostat or replace.
Leaky / drafty windows or doors
- Weatherstrip, caulk / seal air leaks and if possible, add storm window or storm door.